Title: Transport Operations & Commercial Driver Apprentice
Reporting to: Regional Operations Manager
Certa Ireland is a wholly owned subsidiary of DCC plc and is part of the Energy Division of the Group. We were born out of the combination of successful Irish energy brands. We are one of the country’s leading home heating oil, commercial fuel, and agricultural diesel suppliers, in addition to other business divisions including retail forecourts, fuel card services and lubricants. In recent years Certa Ireland has grown with the acquisition of Campus Oil, Jones Oil, two lubricant businesses, and the establishment of the Certa forecourt network. What unites each of these brands is a powerful entrepreneurial spirit, a culture of high performance and agility and is underpinned by exceptionally strong customer service.
DCC plc is one of Ireland’s most successful organisations, operating in various sectors including Energy, Technology and Healthcare. With annual sales of over €18 billion, and operations in 21 countries spanned over 3 continents, DCC employs more than 15,400 people around the globe. Being a part of our parent company means that while we retain the agility and local resonance of a smaller organisation, we also benefit from the strength and scale of our parent company.
Main Purpose of the Transport Operations & Commercial Driver Apprentice Programme:
The apprenticeship program This apprenticeship programme consists of a structured blended learning environment which combines workplace learning and 3rd level education learning. The Transport Operations & Commercial Driver Apprentice programme will open exciting and rewarding career paths with practical experience of undertaking a real job.
This apprenticeship programme runs in conjunction with Institute of Technology Sligo (ATU Sligo). This is a 2-year apprenticeship, comprising of a 1-day (per week) release to a 3rd Level institution during normal college semesters, leading to a QQI Level 6 Higher Certificate in Business in Transport Services. The successful candidate will be trained to perform tasks efficiently and to a high standard, in accordance with standard operating procedures. After training, the successful candidate will ensure all deliveries and requests are dealt with promptly and professionally. S/he will be responsible for the welfare of the transport vehicle as well as the load it carries at any one time.
The Driver Apprentice will work as part of our Operations team. The Operations Team is made up of Drivers, Schedulers and Transport Manager. The driver apprentice will be supported by our experienced Drivers to take them through the working of driving a Dangerous Goods Vehicle.
The Apprentice will gain on job experience in relation to scheduling and all compliance related activities including dealing with maintenance suppliers and government bodies like the Road Safety Authority and the Health & Safety Authority.
The Transport Operations & Commercial Driver Apprentice will be given opportunities to spend time in areas and functions of the business in a structured way to develop their skills across the business.
The Transport Operations & Commercial Driver Apprentice will be responsible for and gain experience in the following areas;
- Driving your vehicle is a courteous and safe manner with regard to other road users and in accordance with road legislation and company policies and procedures
- Ensuring the best care and use of the Company’s vehicle and equipment
- Reporting vehicle defects to supervisor immediately
Vehicle Loading and Delivery:
- Loading/unloading your vehicle safely in accordance with Company procedures and legal standards.
- Delivering oil to customers in a safe efficient manner in accordance with Company procedures and at all times handle oil giving due care and regard to the environment.
- Understanding delivery routes and load distribution.
- Reporting any spillage immediately to your supervisor, attempt to contain the spillage in accordance with Company standards
- Treating all customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Providing all customers with a safe and professional service in accordance with company delivery procedures
- Promoting the company, service and products at all times
- Being alert to sales opportunities and pass relevant leads to the Depot
Operational Support & Administration:
- Completing the drivers stock reconciliation sheet on a daily basis
- Completing a loading docket for each loading to your truck
- Dipping vehicle tanks daily or as required and ensure all stock figures are accurate and correct
- Ensuring all delivery dockets are kept in an orderly fashion and handed into the office at the end of each day
- Completing daily and weekly vehicle checklists as required
- Reading the Company Drivers Handbook carefully and follow the guidelines as required
- Completing detailed written incident reports when required
- Ensuring all cash received from customers is crosschecked with your daily reconciliation sheet and handed into the depot daily
- Carrying out all operational aspects of job with regard to documented company policies, procedures and safety information contained in the Drivers Handbook and other Company documents
- Participating in all company training and awareness programmes
As part of the DCC group, we believe in trust and openness, and you do too. We hire great people and give them the freedom to do their best work.
Minimum entry requirements are:
- Must be at least 18 years old at programme commencement (Essential)
- Must have a full (clean) ‘B’ Licence (Essential)
- H7/O6 or above in five Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) subjects.
- Minimum O6 in English
- Minimum O6 or B2 or above in Mathematics
- Must have a medical report form to assist application for a learner permit / driving licence in any of the C categories (truck) C1, C, C1E, CE
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is limited to the driver licence only. All other modules must be completed
- Enthusiastic and motivated individual
- Customer focused individual with excellent face to face customer skills (desirable)
Our priority on safety has always been the foundation of our sustained success in business. We always prioritise the safety of our employees, contractors, customers and any others who may be affected by our business activities. This is why we continuously look for ways to improve our culture, systems, and our processes around safe practices.
Bold & Courageous
We embrace challenges with the determination to succeed. We push our boundaries and challenge the status quo. Every day we strive to understand the limits of “what’s possible?” and “why not?”. Both as individuals and as a collective, we strive to find innovative solutions to problems for our shared future and achieve our goal of becoming Ireland’s most loved, most efficient and most profitable energy brand.
We are one team and work with a shared vision, which is to always do the right thing for our customers, our businesses and our people. Internally, we operate without silos, and we say what we feel, we’re always respectful, honest and empathetic to different views and opinions, embracing diversity and nurturing inclusivity. We’re problem solvers who are never afraid to take the initiative and personal ownership of the part that we play. Our one-team culture means that we’re stronger together and are capable of accomplishing great things.
We at Certa share a collective entrepreneurial spirit, an agile approach to solving problems, a passion for accuracy, a dedicated work ethic and an unwavering commitment in serving our customers. Performance is at the heart of what we do, and it makes us continuously seek new ways to improve what we do. Our pursuit of excellence demands that each one of us bring a consistently strong performance to their work every day, thus ensuring the long-term success and growth of our business.
We take pride in defying expectations. We keep on our toes and come up with fresh ways to do things in response to changing customer requirements. Our increased focus on being customer-centric across the organisation drives us to
deliver the best-in-class experiences to our customers. This is what helps us build enduring and lasting relationships based on trust, value and respect. Our shared belief in environmental citizenship and our philosophy of small steps over time equals big strides, helps us build an energy-efficient future for our customers and for our planet.
Application closing date is July 30th